Saturday, March 17, 2007

Day 4-5: Paris


Ah, Peri. Beauty and the Beast nailed it. The neighborhood our hostel was in was quite charming, with little cafes and fruit stands surrounding the area. I was just waiting for the town to burst into song. I would have to say that the Eiffel Tower isn't all that impressive, but the Arc de Triomphe more than makes up for it. It must have been from all those years of watching Le Tour de France. I could feel the electricity as thousands of fans lined the streets to see the 2,200 mile race come to an end on the Champs-Elysées. Moulin Rouge is hardly impressive at 8:00AM, but I would imagine the area becomes Vegas like at night. There really isn't enough time in the day to see all that is to see in The Louvre. The more I saw, the more I wanted to see... the cathedral of large-scale French paintings, mainly the 20x32 foot Coronation of Napoleon by David, gives you goose-bumps in its shear scale yet such detail. The 2000 year old statue Venus de Milo was another unexpected gem, further making me want to visit Greece while here. The Seated Scribe, one of the oldest works I have seen, was also an impressive look at another destination I would like to see, Egypt. The Mona Lisa didn't disappoint, as I knew ahead of time it would be small and unimpressive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Ben, you rock! What a bunch of great experiences not to mention pictures. Sounds like you are doing both tourist and human things. Call home and tell your mom about everything.

Anonymous said...

Bon Jour Ben! Paris - my favorite spot. We stayed on St. Louis which is the little island over the bridge from Notre Dame Cathedral. Truly a beautiful little village area. So glad you are enjoying your trip.
Colin's Mom